Step 1. I don’t know what will happen next (I am not insured and at fault)
After an accident, you may be approached by:
- the other driver directly; or
- hear nothing; or
- be contacted by the other parties insurance company.
- a letter from the insurer inviting you to contact them and provide your version of events or details of your insurer; or
- a letter of demand from a debt collector demanding a specific sum of money by a specific date.
- consult you or get your permission to repair;
- get more than one quote.
Sometimes you may be contacted by a second company, like a “car hire” or “claims management” or “credit hire” company. You can read more information here by clicking on “The other driver is trying to recover hire car costs” button below. Once you receive the itemised invoice of repair costs, you can:
- pay the amount claimed. This is the quickest way to resolve the letter of demand.
- offer a reduced lump sum settlement.
- offer to pay it in instalments. To do this use our sample letter generator to draft a letter to an Insurer offering to pay the debt.