Step 1. I dispute the way my claim has been paid and/or how my car has been repaired by the insurer’s repairer

If you want to dispute the way your claim has been paid or how your car was repaired, you need to write to the insurer and raise a dispute. To find the insurance company’s complaints contact details, see:

If the insurer refuses to fix the problem you should ask for reasons in writing. If the insurer confirms their refusal to fix the problem, or has not responded to your dispute within 45 days, then you should make a complaint to the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). You can make a complaint on the AFCA website or 1800 931 678. For more information see the following fact sheets on our website:

Or use the following sample letter generator on our website:

If you have more questions about disputing the way your claim has been paid or your car repaired, you can email or call the Insurance Law Service on 1300 663 464.