Step 1. What happens if the insurer gives me the money to do the repairs?

If the insurer gives you the money to do the repairs, they have no further involvement and take no responsibility for the repairs. It will be up to you to:

  • find a repairer
  • deal with any issues that come up between you and your repairer.
Before accepting a cash settlement for repairs, you should get your own quotes and be satisfied it is enough for you to do the repairs properly. If you disagree with the amount offered by your insurer, you should get evidence about what you believe is the right amount. You should consider:
  • getting two quotes in case your repairer is just charging too much
  • reading your product disclosure statement to see whether there are any policy restrictions about the parts that can be used
  • asking to see your insurer’s quote and compare it your quote.
If there is a dispute, you should make a complaint to insurer’s Internal Dispute Resolution department. To find the insurance company details, see:

For more information, see:

If the insurer has not resolved your dispute within 45 days, you can make a complaint to AFCA. You make a complaint to AFCA on the AFCA website or call 1800 931 678. If you still have questions about dealing with your insurer, you can email or call the Insurance Law Service on 1300 663 464.