Step 1. I am claiming on my insurance

If you are insured (comprehensive insurance), you should consider lodging a claim with your insurer immediately. This is often the simplest option for you, but you may need to pay an excess, and this may affect your premiums or no-claim bonuses. Your insurer should then sort it out with the other parties/insurer. What follows between you and your insurer will be determined largely by the terms of your insurance policy. If you have a problem with your insurer you should make a complaint to insurer’s Internal Dispute Resolution department. You can find their details using the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA’s) member search function. You can use our “Raising a Dispute” sample letter generator on our website to help you in this process.  

If you need help dealing with your insurer, email or call the Insurance Law Service on 1300 663 464. If you have a general legal question following a car accident, start by calling LawAccess NSW on 1300 888 529.