Important: The following Sample Letters can be used as a guide. You must insert your own details where appropriate and delete any information that is not relevant to your situation. Always date your letters. Always keep a copy of the letter you send. Get legal advice if you do not understand.
Use this letter to dispute the amount claimed by an insurer.
- Only use this letter if you are arguing the amount claimed is too much, which means you agree you owe some of it.
- Be prepared to pay, or start paying the amount you agree you owe immediately. It is important that the offer you are making to settle covers the entire dispute.
- The terms of an offer vary depending on the circumstances. It is strongly recommended that you seek legal advice on the terms of the offer. Call us on the Insurance Law Service on 1300 663 464.
Use this letter to complain about a breach of the General Insurance Code
- Use this letter if you would like to complain about the behaviour of an insurance company.
- Once completed you should email this letter to email@example.com which is a separate section of the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) that investigates alleged breaches of the General Insurance Code of Practice.
- If you would like to read the Code, it is available here.
Use this letter to request a release from an insurance debt
- This sample letter is for people who owe a debt to an insurance company that they cannot pay as a result of a motor vehicle accident for which they were not insured
- If that is your situation you should also read our “I’ve Had an Accident and I am Uninsured” Fact Sheet.
You should only use this letter if the following are true:
- You were at fault for the accident and you admit you owe money to the insurer.
- You cannot afford to pay anything to the insurer (if you can afford something, use the “Offer to Pay Insurance Debt” letter instead).
- You can prove that you are in financial hardship, and you have evidence to attach to this letter (if you have no evidence of your financial hardship, you should see a free financial counsellor – call 1800 007 007)
Use this letter to inform your insurer that you can’t pay your excess
- You should consider reading our Paying Your Excess Know Your Financial Rights Checklist.
Use this letter to offer to pay an insurance debt
If you are uninsured and you have had an accident you should consider reading our “I’ve Had A Car Accident And I’m Uninsured”.
- Only use this letter if you agree you are at fault and you owe money to the insurer. Be prepared to pay, or start paying the amount you agree you owe immediately.
- It is important that the offer you are making to settle covers the entire dispute. The terms of an offer vary depending on the circumstances. It is strongly recommended that you seek legal advice on the terms of the offer. Call 1300 663 464.
Use this letter to demand claiming for damage to a motor vehicle
Use this letter use letter to an insurer asking to deduct excess from damages